Your Renting Contract Is Ready? Watch Out!

When moving to a new country, finding a new place to call home is definitely one of the first (and possibly also one of the biggest) challenges. 

However, what happens once you have found the perfect place? What matters should you watch out for?

Let’s discover them together!

Review your lease agreement 

The first thing we suggest, before signing the lease agreement, is to carefully review it. Especially, always make sure that the property is legally owned by the person stated in the agreement. 

To find out, you can try to navigate the information through the cadastre website here. You may find out that the person who signed the contract is not legally entitled to do so or that you are simply signing a sublease without being informed. 

This is important to know as sublease agreements do not protect tenants to the same extent of lease agreements. 

For example, if the tenant who subleases the room or apartment to you breaches the contract with the landlord, the contract can be immediately terminated and you will be evicted from the property without any rights to a time notice or compensation.  Because of this, always make sure to be provided with all legal documents relating to the ownership of the property and evidence between the landlord and the tenant clearly stating that the last has the right to sublease the property.  

Moreover, a proper review of the lease agreement may be essential for further dealing with authorities (i.e. when applying for a Residence Permit in the Czech Republic, an extension of a Residence Permit or reporting a change of your address at the Ministry of Interior). 

Take pictures of the property

Before moving in, during the handover from the landlord, we advise that you take pictures of the property down to the details. This is to ensure that you take account of any defect present. Make sure to then share with the landlord the pictures you took, so that clear evidence exists of the condition of the apartment when it was handed over to you.

If it is possible to repair any of the present defects, agree with the owner on the steps to take with a specific deadline for completion. Make sure to write it down in the handover protocol and have it signed by the landlord. Otherwise, make a point to keep the pictures to be used, if needed, when you will be leaving the property at the end of your lease.

Report the change of your address 

Once you have selected a new property to move into, you are responsible for reporting the change of your address to the authorities:

  • Non-EU citizens holding a visa for a stay over 90 days or a Long-term Residence Permit are required to report a change in the place of residence in the Czech Republic within 30 days of it occurring if the change in the place of residence is expected to last longer than 30 days.
  • Non-EU citizens holding a Permanent Residence Permit are required to report a change in the place of residence in the Czech Republic within 30 days of it occurring if the change in the place of residence is expected to last longer than 180 days.
  • EU citizens or their family members that are holders of Temporary/Permanent Residency are required to report a change in the place of residence within 30 working days of this change occurring. This obligation applies if the change in the place of residence is expected to last longer than 180 days.

If you are not sure how to proceed properly, contact us! We will be happy to help you!

Governmental Programs For Immigration Purposes


Governmental Programs are special projects granted by the Czech Ministry of Industry and Trade for certain qualified companies (e.g. investors,start ups and well established companies), aiming to shorten the immigration process for the companies’ to hire their new non-EU employees faster. 


  • Highly Skilled Employee – for workers CZ ISCO 1-3 from all over the world
  • Key and Scientific Personnel – for workers CZ ISCO 1-3 from all over the world
  • Qualified Employee – CZ ISCO 4-8 Ukraine, Mongolia, Serbia, Philippines, India, Belarus, Moldova, Montenegro and Kazakhstan


  • Company that can prove no debt towards social, health insurance and taxes
  • Company that  received no fine for illegal employment 
  • Company of certain size (differs amongst programs)
  • Company that is on the market for a certain amount of time (differs amongst programs)


  • The program is valid for 1 year and unlimited numbers of employees fulfilling the conditions can be added within this period of time. It is then possible to apply repeatedly  to continue on the program
  • The desired permit (Long-term Residence Permit, Employee Card etc.) is approved within 30 days (rather within60 days)
  • Easier list of required documents for the application. Documents such as Employment contract and Confirmation of Accommodation are waived
  • Despite the limitation of work capacity at the embassies, applications through the programs are always accepted while other applications must wait a few weeks for a term. This is mostly relevant during pandemic time but not only. 
  • Employees are excused from participation in the Adaptation Courses, which are otherwise obligatory for most of non EU nationals


For free consultation for the Governmental Programs contact Kristýna, Head of Immigration Department, at 

How can you handle moving-abroad fear?

Moving abroad is a stressful experience, even if we feel ready to do so or have a job prospect already lined up. It opens up many new exciting opportunities but also unknown variables we might not know how to tackle. 

What are the most common fears of moving abroad? And how can they be overcome?

  • Language Barriers

Fear of cultural and language barriers is common when moving to a country with no English as its first language. In fact, while English is universal, not everyone speaks it, which is especially true in common everyday settings. The first time at the grocery store can easily become a haunting experience.

How to overcome this?

Start by learning the country language before moving. Make sure to learn the most common phrases, such as “Good morning” and “Thank you”, to help you establish a first connection with the locals and thus decrease the disconnect with the new culture. If you decide to make the new country your permanent home, you may want to undertake a full language course.

  • Moving 

Relocating your entire life and belongings abroad requires a long and painstaking process that can quickly become overwhelming. Hiring international movers is an excellent way to speed up the process and reduce stress. The movers will take care of all the details for you, from packing to shipping, all the way to custom clearance and even, at times, unpacking in your new home. 

  • Cost of Living

While the move can already prove expensive, you might be worried about the cost of living you’ll encounter. How should you plan for it? What are the prices you can expect? 

It would be best to research such information before moving to put some money aside to be used in case of emergencies or settling in expenses. For example, in the Czech Republic, first payments for properties usually include first rent + utilities (usually around 2.000 – 10.000 CZK) as well as a security deposit (between 1 to 3 months of rent) and a commission for the real estate agent (in the amount of 1 month rent + 21% VAT), which altogether can easily reach an amount between 50.000 and 150.000 CZK. Another good practice is to create a plan to respect before and after your move, to keep your finances under control.

  • Bureaucracy 

To live and work legally in another country, depending on where you are coming from, might require you to obtain several documents. From visas to residence permits, navigating a new country’s bureaucratic landscape can be a nightmare.

To lessen the strain, you can look up a Facebook group of people looking to move or who have moved to the specific country you are interested in and ask them for advice or you can also hire a professional service to overcome language barriers and ensure you don’t miss any step.

  • Safety

When we do not know the reality of the country we are going to move into, it is normal to ask ourselves “Is it safe?”. 

In the case of Prague, the answer is yes. The city has often been rated high in safety indices around the world. However, even in safe areas, it is important to always apply common sense and research beforehand.

For a more complete outlook on the country’s situation, we would suggest checking not only government websites but also blogs of people living there and possibly finding ways to get in touch with locals.

Here at ReloCare, we offer 1 on 1 consultations to answer any questions you may have concerning your move abroad. From Cost of Living and Safety to Bureaucracy and Moving, our expertise is at your service to resolve all your doubts. 

If you would like to know more, do not hesitate to reach out.

The Challenge of Waste Sorting in Prague

Moving to a new country presents many exciting opportunities, but also a number of challenges, some of which we might not have envisaged before embarking on our journey. While being away from family, having to learn a new language and lots of paperwork are expected obstacles, we often tend to overlook how much harder little things can become in a new environment.

How do people purchase produce in supermarkets? Where can you buy a specific house product? How do pharmacies work? And especially, where can you throw your trash?

Waste management rules can differ greatly from country to country, from their breadth to how they are enforced. For example, where in one country paper might be thrown into mixed waste, it may need to be separated into different types in another. At the same time, a blue bin can be used for plastic collection in one place and for cans in another. 

As the city of Prague is increasingly attentive to the care of the environment and sorting waste correctly, there exists a wide set of well-encoded rules. With over 3000 collection bins around the city for paper, glass and plastic, it is easy to dispose of trash thoughtfully and do your part in keeping the city beautiful.

How to sort trash correctly in Prague?

At the time of the writing of this article, according to the valid Ordinance of the Capital City of Prague No. 24/2001, waste should be sorted as follows: 

  • Paper and Cardboard (blue containers)
  • Glass (white containers for clear glass, green for colored glass)
  • Plastics (yellow containers)
  • Cans (grey containers)
  • Bulky waste (high-capacity containers in selected locations)
  • Hazardous waste (only at selected collection points)
  • Mixed waste (black containers)

The city is also testing a separate collection of packages for beverages (orange containers) and biological waste.

Other important collections sites

Of course, from time to time we might need to dispose of less common items like expired medicines or small electronics. Where can we do so?

  • Pharmacies

You can bring to pharmacies around Prague any expired or unused drug/medicine, old mercury-filled thermometers and used syringes.

  • Red Containers

Small electronic waste, batteries and lightbulbs can be disposed of at specific red bins. Such containers are also available in every elementary school and in every secondary school.

  • Collecting yards

Any type of waste (with the exception of mixed waste) can be disposed of at the collecting yards of the city of Prague. Other than pneumatics, every type of waste can be disposed of free of charge. Please note, however, that to use the collecting yards the person needs to verify themselves as a permanent resident in Prague with a valid identity card.

Items hard or impossible to recycle

Unfortunately, not every item can be recycled. Currently, in Prague it is impossible to recycle the following items:

  • CDs
  • Tapes
  • Vinyls
  • Any item featuring C/ on the label, as they are a composite material (with the exception of beverage containers that can be recycled in the orange bin as mentioned above)
  • Cigarette Butts

If possible, try to down-cycle such items or include them in creative projects. Otherwise, all of them need to be disposed of in mixed waste containers.


You are now ready to take on the waste sorting challenge in Prague! If you still need a little help, you can use the following website to find the appropriate collection point near you for any material: 

Happy sorting!

The Czech Healthcare System

When moving abroad, it is important to get to know and understand how the healthcare system of the country we just moved into actually works. 

The Czech Healthcare system is among the best in Central Europe, with most citizens enjoying universal healthcare coverage via their employers. In fact, the country has one of the most accessible systems and ranks 4th in Europe for its number of Operational Hospital Beds: with 6.6 hospital beds per 1,000 citizens, it is 35% above the EU average of 4.9 per 1000 citizens.

Nevertheless, how does it actually work?

Private vs. Public

In the Czech Republic, both EU and Non-EU citizens are required by law to have health insurance. For this reason, during the immigration procedure, people are required to provide proof of actually owning health insurance.

It is possible to have either Private and/or Public Insurance. With Public Insurance, you will be granted similar coverage as Czech Citizens which includes diagnostic and preventative care, hospital care (including rehabilitation and care of chronic illnesses), basic dental care and medicines. 

Private Insurance coverage depends on the company and plan chosen. However, you have to consider that in order to be able to complete your immigration process, your insurance company must be recognized by the Czech National Bank list. If it is not, you will have to buy another local Czech insurance for the full duration of your permit in addition to the private insurance you have obtained. This is a very crucial point when searching for insurance options as you may end up paying for two. 

Do I need a General Practitioner (GP)?

In the Czech Republic, it is necessary to be registered with a general practitioner (GP) to receive care. Many expats are not required to do so in their home country and do not see the need to become a patient in a specific clinic. However, it is a needed step to do upon your arrival since if you will require treatment in the future, you may have a problem finding an available GP to accept you. Even when visiting a specialist such as a dermatologist, neurologist and similar, you will have to show a reference from your GP or pay as a private service. 

In Prague, you may face difficulty finding a general doctor who is well versed in the English language, so it is advised to start looking for a public clinic with which to register, right upon arrival. Please be aware that it may require you to call several places before you will find one that is available. If you know foreigners in Prague, ask them for recommendations on where they care about their health as not all the clinics can be provided with English (or other languages) support. 

One can choose to register via a private or public clinic. Private clinics might be included in a private insurance plan, but can be accessed via public insurance by paying an additional yearly membership fee for the upgraded service level. Public clinics do not require any membership fee, however have limited availability. It is becoming more and more popular that gynecologists take yearly membership subscriptions even if they are considered public medical centers. However, the government is trying to fight the habit and soon it will be forbidden.


What to Expect In a Czech Hospital?

Prague has many hospitals, so you will always find one that is no more than 10-15min. distance from your home.  Motol Hospital is located in Prague 5 and is the biggest hospital and the only one that has a building dedicated to children’s care. 

When attending the hospitals you may have a language barrier during admission or registration, as the nurses often do not speak any language but Czech.  However, once you pass that obstacle you will have with high probability an English-speaking doctor, even though the level of English can differ from one doctor to another.

Consider that when attending the hospital during working hours, you may be requested to go back to your GP or other specialists. The hospital does not normally treat cases that are treatable by other open clinics.  

When arriving after working hours at the hospital, you will be required to pay a fee of CZK 90 to be admitted during the registration process. There are special machines dedicated to the payment of this fee close by the reception area. 

The emergency department is called “Pohotovost” or “Ambulance”. 

Insurances and Charges at the Hospitals

Czech Hospitals are quite strict on which types of health insurance they accept. This can lead to two different scenarios when visiting a hospital:

  • If you have insurance

By law, you can be treated immediately if you are insured by a company recognized by the Czech National Bank. You will also be admitted immediately if insured with either the Czech public insurance (VZP) or the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

  • No Insurance

If visiting for an ordinary procedure, we would suggest you visit the Motol University Hospital. This hospital also treats patients who do not have the Czech National Insurance. You will have to, however, visit the Foreigner’s Department of the hospital, leave a deposit and then return after treatment to settle the payment.

In life-threatening or trauma cases, you will be taken straight to emergency.

Special Rules of the Czech Healthcare System

Additional facts about the Czech healthcare system that might be useful to know are the following:

  • If you would like to visit a specialist, you must have a written reference from your general practitioner.
  • Children in the Czech Republic are under pediatric care until they are 18 years old.
  • It is mandatory in both private and public schools for enrolled children to be vaccinated.
  • Most doctors accept visits only during working hours. While the hospital is open 24/7, outside of working hours it will accept patients only if it’s really necessary. For non-urgent cases, they will ask the patient to visit their general practitioner in the morning.

Ambulance Services

There are two types of ambulance in the Czech Republic: 

    • Emergency medical service (Zdravotnická záchranná služba, ZZS)
  • Transport medical service (Dopravní zdravotnická služba, DZS)

You will call the emergency medical service in the event of a sudden accident or serious acute health problem. The contact line is 155 or 112. The transport is then covered by the public health insurance company. For private insurance, you most probably will need to pay and then ask for the reimbursement of the fee from the insurance later. 

The transport medical service is used for planned journeys for examinations by specialists – in a situation where other types of transport are not suitable for health reasons, for example due to reduced mobility, malaise, infectivity of the disease, post-operative conditions or psychiatric illnesses. 

In order to use a transport medical service, a pre-written request from the general practitioner is required. If it is a journey from home to an examination, the doctor must provide the patient with a transport voucher in advance at the same time as he files a request for the examination by the specialist. When a journey back home is required due to health conditions, a transport voucher will be issued by the doctor who sends the patient home, i.e. the doctor from the ambulance or hospital where the patient was treated. Such transports are covered by the health insurance company.


10+ Useful Phrases & Words To Know in Czech

Moving to a new country can be overwhelming. With many changes taking place all at once, it’s inevitable to feel scared and stressed.

This can be even more true when moving to a country of which we do not know the language. 

If you are planning or considering moving to the Czech Republic, we have compiled this list of useful words and sentences for you: knowing how to communicate basic needs, in fact, will help you get settled easier, move around with less trouble and reduce the stress of the entire procedure. 

Which are the most useful phrases to know in Czech?

  • Dobrý den

Learning how to say “Good Day!” is an important step. As a matter of fact, it is probably one of the most used sentences and one you can learn easily. It’s a simple way to establish connections with the locals and also be polite: the perfect opening for any interaction.

“Dobrý den” can also be used in the evenings or just as a phrase to say “Hello” in a polite manner, for example when entering a store or when someone joins you in the elevator. When greeting friends, however, you can use the informal “Ahoj”.

  • Děkuji Vám/Děkuju

Second on the list, we couldn’t have anything other than “Thank you”.

You can say it both in its extended form “Děkuji Vám” or in its shortened one “Děkuju”. If “Good day!” is the perfect opening expression, this has to be one of the perfect closing ones!

  • Na shledanou

Of course, we don’t always need to thank someone to end an interaction. Sometimes, we might just want to say “Goodbye”.

For every time you will be leaving a shop or a store or at the end of a day at work, you can say “Na shledanou” (or “Ahoj” to your closest colleagues) to take your leave in perfect Czech style.

  • Nerozumím / Mluvíte anglicky? / Nemluvím česky

These next few sentences will be useful to you before you start learning the language. If someone starts speaking to you in Czech, you can use one of them to express that you do not understand (“Nerozumím”) or that you do not speak Czech (“Nemluvím česky”). If the exchange is important, for example during a bureaucratic procedure, you can ask instead if they speak English (“Mluvíte anglicky?”). These sentences will help you navigate your most complex interactions.

  •  Prosím, napište to

It can happen, however, that it is not possible to have a conversation in English. In that case, if no external help is available, you can ask to please write down what they are trying to communicate by saying “Prosím, napište to”. This can enable you to have a copy of the message to double check with a friend or a mobile app, thus making sure to avoid potential misunderstandings.

  • Platit, prosím / Kartou, prosím

Of course, not every interaction has to be difficult and it can feel empowering to be able to handle smaller ones in the local language. At a restaurant, you can ask for the check by saying “Platit, prosím” or “Ucet, prosím” and, if you would like to then pay with a card, it will be sufficient to say “Kartou, prosím”. This latter one can also be used to pay by card in other stores, not only in restaurants.

  • Chcete tašku? / Mám tašku

Another extremely useful sentence, which you will hear often in any store you visit, is “Chcete tašku?” or “Do you want a bag?”. If you do have your own bag you can simply reply “Mám tašku”, otherwise you may need the words of our point number 8.

  • Ano / Ne

In Czech, “Ano” means “Yes” and “Ne” means “No”. In some cases, for yes, the contracted form “Noo” may be used, which can cause confusion in foreigners. So beware!

  • Muži / Ženy

This set of words will allow you to find the correct toilet in any public setting! In Czech “Muži” is “Man” while “Ženy” is “Woman”. Learning the two can avoid stalling at the bathroom stalls. Sometimes, the alternative “Páni” for “Men” and “Dámy” for “Ladies” may be used.

  • Otevřeno / Zavřeno

Is the shop open or closed? Learning these words will help you know the answer! “Otevřeno” in fact means “Open” while “Zavřeno” means “Closed”. Knowing them will also help you interpret Shop Opening Hours, also called “Otevírací doba”.

  • Pomoc / Pozor

Towards the end of our list, we find two extremely useful words that appear quite similar but have slightly different meanings. 

If someone tells you “Pomoc” they will be calling for “Help”. It may not necessarily mean that they are in need of SOS help, but they might be simply asking for support: carrying a heavy bag for example or crossing the street. You can also use this word yourself if you are in need of assistance.

If you see, instead, the writing “Pozor”, this means “Attention”. For example, crossroads can present the writing “Pozor Tram”, to invite you to pay attention to potential Trams passing by (as they have precedence, also over pedestrians!). These are two very useful words to both know how to ask for help if needed and to know if there is anything you should be careful about.

  • Promiňte / Pardon

Last but not least, we have “Promiňte/Pardon”. Ever been on a bus or tram, approaching your stop and needing to ask for space to get off? These words will help you do just that! All locals are familiar with them and will react more promptly to it than to the English “Excuse me”.

Which other words or phrases would you have included in this list?

Renting in Prague. What’s the challenge?

If you are a foreigner looking to move to the Czech Republic, you wouldn’t be alone, especially not in Prague.

According to the latest census, over 1,3 million people live in the city and, with the active workforce numbering approximately 700,000, it is estimated that more than 25% of them are not Czech natives.

Overall, in the country, the number of foreigners with permanent or temporary residence has reached close to 600,000 people. This number does not consider those who can legally stay in the country without a permit, via Schengen visas or by being an EU citizen.

So, while you will face many expected challenges in your moving process, we have some information for you to make one of the bigger ones, finding a place to rent, a bit easier.

As a matter of fact, this is a task that can be more challenging than anticipated in the Czech Republic. 

The Prague housing market is overheated.

Moving to a new country and renting property there, where you may not have any connections, can prove demanding. You need to scout properties for rent, get in touch, get appointments and plan specific periods for your visits to ensure that you get to double-check any house or apartment that catches your eye. 

This is a lengthy process with which you might want to take your time, if nothing else to ensure the most comfortable living space for you and your family. After all, the overall process is expected to take about 2-4 weeks if you are flexible with your demand, with 7-10 days dedicated only to the contract drafting and negotiating. While it might be stressful that your negotiation takes so long, well, in the Czech Republic things just take longer. 

The landlords will expect your move between 2-4 weeks so if you plan to stay in temporary accommodation for 60 days, for example, you should start your search about 4-6 weeks before your booking ends.

However, the Prague housing market is so dynamic that you cannot wait to provide confirmation on a property you like as that could lead you, in the end, to lose your favourite option.

Why is the market so “overheated”?

This is mostly due to the following two factors:

  • Prague’s building approvals – the municipality offers a limited quota of new units 
  • The city high rate of tourism

Since the Czech Republic has some of the longest and most complicated building procedures in the world, Prague has been slow in its development. While more and more people were moving to the city, not enough properties were being built to sustain the increased demand for accommodations.

Now, this fact makes any standing property an extremely hot commodity, giving landlords the power to actually pick and choose their tenants. 

In addition to the limitation of the city hall to the developers of real estate, the Czech Republic generally lacks professional construction employees. New development needs to book work years ahead. The price of the constructions are rising and, as a result, the price of the purchase of properties has increased as well. For investors who purchase an apartment and expect a certain return, the immediate solution is the increase of the rental price.    

Moreover, the number of available properties is further reduced by the high tourism in the city. With over 8 million visitors to the city of Prague in 2019 alone, it is no wonder that many landlords prefer more profitable short-term rentals over long-term ones and simply earn more. However, this is not the case during 2020 and the beginning of 2021 as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. 

How do you navigate such a market?

It is not only foreigners that are confronted with these renting challenges in Prague: locals are subjected to them too. However, while this further increases the competition, it doesn’t do so for every property.

The Prague housing market can be roughly divided into two sides: affordable properties also sought after by locals and more expensive ones, mostly rented by foreigners and companies.

The price that demarks this separation is usually around 25.000 CZK: a local would rather become a homeowner and pay such an amount to a bank as their mortgage monthly payment than pay it as rent. 

To summarize, going for a more expensive property will provide you with more time to make a final decision, given the lower competition, but will require a higher budget.

Whereas, a more affordable property will, given the higher rate of competition, require you to perform as much research as possible beforehand to be ready to confirm your interest promptly after a viewing as apartments might become unavailable very quickly.

Now that you are equipped with this basic knowledge of the Czech housing market, we wish you the best of luck in your apartment hunting!
And if you need any more tips or help, we here at ReloCare are there for you

Confirmation of Accommodation

Confirmation of Accommodation (CoA) is required by the Ministry of the Interior for the purposes of visa and residence applications (Pursuant to Act No. 326/1999 Coll.). When obtaining Residence Permit in the Czech Republic, the Confirmation of Accommodation completely supplements a Lease agreement which then does not have to be submitted in the immigration process.

As of January 1, 2020, the Ministry of Interior (OAMP), keeps all documents provided without the possibility to receive it back.  If you don’t want to give up your only copy of your Lease agreement, you must provide a verified copy of the whole document (CZK 30 / per page)  which may turn out to be quite costly if you are applying for several family members. For this reason the Confirmation of Accommodation is often a preferred option. 

What are the benefits, when is it needed and how to obtain the confirmation of accommodation? We have summarized all the important information you need to know before you start. 

Typical cases when the Confirmation of Accommodation is needed: 

  • There is no Lease agreement signed / provided 
  • Lease agreement is in English language only – the Ministry of Interior requires the document in Czech language! 
  • There is a mistake in the lease agreement (signed by an unauthorized person, incorrectly marked housing unit, typographical error, etc.)
  • One of the tenants is not stated in the contract (flatshare / family members) 
  • The lease agreement is concluded with the a company without specifying the employee as user of the property with personal details (name, passport, date of birth)

Benefit of providing the Confirmation: 

  • Protection of private data, e.g. rent expense, tenant’s residence abroad, etc.
  • Effective solution when submitting applications for a multi-member family – there is no obligation to provide an officially certified copy of the lease agreement for each application

The Confirmation of Accommodation must include:

  • Details of the owner of the property (or his/her authorized representative – in such case a notarized original of the Power of attorney authorizing the signing on behalf of the landlord must be provided),
  • Specification of the unit so that it can be traced in the real estate cadastre (accommodation unit number or LV number),
  • Foreigner’s personal data (min. 3 identification elements),
  • The relationship between the foreigner and the unit,
  • Signature (signature verification required in some cases).

Who is entitled to sign the Confirmation of Accommodation?

  • Owner of the property
  • Authorized representative of the owner
  • Executive or other authorized representative of the company that owns the property

How to sign the Confirmation of Accommodation?

  • Confirmation of accommodation for EU national: Owner must sign with a blue ballpoint pen
  • Confirmation of accommodation for non-EU national: Owner’s signature must be officially verified by notary or officials at Czech Point

Do you need help obtaining a confirmation of accommodation? Contact us at!

Registered Mail in the Czech Republic

What is a registered mail (“Doporučený dopis”)?

Registered mail is a form of a delivery of the mail by the Czech Post to the hands of the receiver. 

To send a letter as registered, a small form called “Podací lístek” has to be filled out. “Podací lístek” also includes an option of notifying the sender that the mail has been delivered. Thus you can be sure that the recipient received the letter. 

You can find the “Podací lístek” at the Czech Post branch (usually near the clerks’ windows), or you can fill it out online on the Czech Post website and print it then.  

The cost of sending a registered mail is around CZK 55-80, according to the weight and size of the envelope. 

How to fill out “Podací lístek”? 

The only part you have to fill out is “odesílatel” (sender) and “adresát” (receiver). 

State full name (first name + surname) and full address (street + street number + town + postcode) of the sender and the receiver as well. 

If you wish to receive an sms confirmation that the letter was delivered to the receiver, state also your phone number.

When you may need to use the registered mail? 

Using a registered mail is recommended when sending official documents to the authorities or when sending a termination letter to the landlord for example. However it is wise to use in any other case when you need evidence for the delivery of  the mai.

Tracking number

The Post office will issue a tracking number on the “Podací lístek”, usually it starts with R and followed by digit numbers. 

You can follow your letter on the Czech Post website

What are the other options?

  • Common letter – the most common method of buying stamp and dropping the letter at the postbox, no tracking is possible 
  • Letter with a delivery note – you will receive a paper confirmation with the signature or the recipient confirming the letter has been handed to the recipient – this form of letter is recommended when sending an official documents to authorities

How To Verify Signature or Document in the Czech Republic?

Do you need to officially duplicate a document or have your signature verified? Here is a brief guide on how you can easily do that without speaking Czech!

What is Czech Point?

Czech Point is a branch of the Czech Ministry of Interior that allows certain authorities such as Czech Post, notaries and other legal entities to verify signatures or documents and issue certain official documents such as Criminal Record or an official extract from the business registry.

You can determine whether a certain Czech Post office offers Czech Point services by spotting this blue mark on the entrance door. 

Not all service windows at the Post office are offering Czech Point and you shall check before queuing which window holds the Czech Point logo.

Czech Point Logo

Documents Verification

What for? When authorities require a duplicate of a document or when you do not wish to submit an original, verification of a document can be a proper solution. Verified duplicate has the same status as the original. 

What to bring with you? Make sure the document you wish to verify is an original hard copy.

In Czech ask for: Úředně ověřená kopie dokumentu

Signature Verification

What for? Verification of the signature is a process of official confirmation of the authenticity of the signature. This can be required for instance on a Power of Attorney, Confirmation of Accomodation, Sworn statements and such. The verification is done by providing the clerk with your passport or ID card and signing the document in front of them. 

Note that signature must be in Latin letters! 

What to bring with you? Beside the document to sign on make sure to bring a passport or other identification card. You must sign the document in front of the official; do not sign the document before. 

In Czech ask for:  Úředně ověřený podpis

TIP: Note that some Post offices may not allow duplicate documents or verify your signature on a document that is not in Czech language. Visit the Municipality or a notary office directly if your document is in a foreign language.

Good to Know:

  • The verification will be confirmed in the verification book which the clerk will fill in and you will have to sign. 
  • The officials may request that you will stay at the waiting room while they prepare the documents registry. 
  • Some Post Offices and Notaries have a queue management system. You can identify the logo of the Czech Point as one of the service options on the standing machine and click on it to receive a service number.

How much verification costs?

  • At the Czech Point: CZK 30 per page
  • Notary: CZK 40–50 per page